Candidates FAQs

We pay you every Friday, a week in arrears into your bank account. You’ll need to provide us with your current bank details and a current P45/P46 as soon as you start working with us.

No problem. We can pay you by cheque, which we’ll send to your home address.

We can still pay you without a National Insurance Number, however you’ll need to obtain one as soon as possible once you start working. Follow this link to obtain your NI number: 

Click here for a National Insurance number

If you gave us a P45/P46 which is in-date for the current tax year, then you should be paying the correct tax. If you are on a BR tax code, then it is likely you’re being “emergency taxed”. Any tax queries can be taken up with Inland Revenue on 0845 300 0627, quoting our PAYE reference/tax code 120/EA65755.

If you have been emergency taxed and have sent an in-date P45/P46, then your taxes will be automatically adjusted, and the emergency tax reimbursed into your pay; this takes around three weeks. If you have specific questions you can contact Inland Revenue on 0845 300 0627 quoting our PAYE reference/tax code 120/EA65755.

Under the current regulations, all agency workers are entitled to the statutory minimum leave entitlement of 5.6 weeks. This means you’ll clock up just over half a day holiday for every full week you work. Bank and public holidays are included as part of your minimum 5.6 weeks’ holiday entitlement. When you take up an assignment, we’ll explain exactly how your holiday money will be paid, as this can vary from company to company.

You’ll be given this by your previous employer when you leave.

This usually means we haven’t received your timesheet. If this happens, call your consultant on 01273 607129.

Please let us know if you have changed address. Alternatively, there may be a delay in the post. If after a week, your payslip has not arrived, you can request a replacement by emailing

Some companies prefer you ask them directly, while others (perhaps where there are many more employees) prefer all requests to go through your Consultant. You should give at least 2 weeks’ notice for any time off, and in some circumstances you may need to wait until you have accrued enough leave with the client. If you have any questions you, contact us any time via or 01273 607129.

Integrity First